The 2020 Annual General Meeting will take place on Sunday, March 22, 2020 at the Ponoka Legion. The Agenda and the AGM poster has not been published yet as they are still being finalized.
To provide as much notice as possible, the Board wants to ensure that all members are aware of our policy relative to elections that was adopted last year. To summarize the policy, ANY MEMBER wishing to run for a position on the Board of Directors must submit their intent to run for the position(s) by notifying the Administrator no later than 14 day prior to the Annual General Meeting. For the 2020 Annual General Meeting, your INTENT TO RUN and Volunteer Application (if not already on file) must be received by no later than Sunday, March 8, 2020.
For current Board Members, applications are already on file and only notification is required if running for the position they currently hold. For any other member wishing to run for a position, you must submit a Volunteer Application to the Administrator (email@example.com) no later than 14 days prior to the election.
At the 2020 Annual General Meeting, the following positions are up for election:
Details regarding each position description can be found by clicking on any of the above positions.
- Volunteer Application Form (PDF Fillable)
- All details regarding the election process are contained within Policy 030. This policy outlines the only exceptions for when nominations will be taken from the floor as well as the timelines of when members must comply with the Volunteer Screening Policy.
- Further details about the Darts Alberta Volunteer Screening Process are contained in Policy 022.
As more coaches are being trained, a new process was implemented in 2016 and those processes were put into a new Alberta Policy 031.
Darts Alberta Coaches must have successfully completed the NDFC Level 1 Coaching course (online) and a minimum of the NCCP Make Ethical Decisions module. Consideration may be given to someone that is already in the process of completing the on-line course or already registered for the MED course, depending on their other qualifications and experience and the qualifications of other candidates.
Each applicant must complete the Darts Alberta Volunteer Application and submit this to the Darts Alberta Administrator by no later than February 29, 2020.
Each successful applicant must comply with the screening criteria as outlined in Darts Alberta Policy 022.
Each applicant must be available, preferably in person, for the interview process that will be held on the evening of Saturday, March 21, 2020 in Ponoka.
Note that when completing the application for coaches, the options are listed under “Appointed Positions”. If interested in both Youth and Adult Coach Positions, please click on your preferred choice in the drop down menu and make a note of your second choice in the Comments Section.
Should a coach have any questions regarding training, certification or the selection process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
All zone results are in and those guaranteed to participate in the 2020 Provincial Championship have now been published. If you are planning on participating in the event, please ensure that you review all of the pertinent information and links listed below as well as the tournament poster and Men's and Women's Eligibility Lists.
Special room rates have been made available at the Best Western Premiere Calgary Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre.
The Women’s Zone Playoffs had a great response with a total of 74 participants. A total of 64 women are accepted into the provincial championship. This includes the 4 players that are eligible to accept their invitation directly to the provincials.
- Alex Foulds (Top 4 on the April 30, 2019 Ranking List)
- Crystal Chiasson (Top 4 on the April 30, 2019 Ranking List)
- Nicki Rolls (Top 4 on the April 30, 2019 Ranking List)
- Linda Ledingham (Top 4 on the April 30, 2019 Ranking List)
We also had a great response in the Men’s Zone Playoffs with a total of 146 participants. A total of 80 men are accepted into the provincial championship. This includes the 3 players that are eligible to accept their invitation directly to the provincials.
- Ken MacNeil (Top 4 on the April 30, 2019 Ranking List)
- Johnny Hannon (Top 4 on the April 30, 2019 Ranking List)
- Shaun Narain (Top 4 on the April 30, 2019 Ranking List)
- Mike Dwyer (Top 4 on the April 30, 2019 Ranking List) - gave up bye to participate in zones
The lists of eligible participants (Men's and Ladies) shows those guaranteed a spot in the 2020 Provincials. For those listed as PENDING, eligibility is dependent on the number of guaranteed players that show up to participate from each zone. It is important to note that some players compete in the Zone playoffs and although they may have a guaranteed spot, they often choose not to travel to the provincials. This opens up additional spots for zone participants listed as pending and any individuals wishing to buy into the event that didn’t compete in zones. If any guaranteed players in your zone are not participating, this would automatically move everyone up on the list from your zone.
If more than 64 women or more than 80 men show up to register, the following order is used to determine eligibility:
- All those players listed as guaranteed as well as any pending players to fill the total spots allocated to each zone.
- If additional spots are still available, these will be filled from other zone participants based on a formula that includes seeding points and current Darts Alberta ranking.
- Any individuals that wish to buy into the event that didn’t complete in zone playoffs provided space is available.
Anyone planning on participating in the 2020 Provincial Championships should be aware of the following key points:
- The 2020 National Championships are being held in Sydney, Nova Scotia. If you make the team, you will be required to be in attendance from Monday, June 15 through Friday, June 19. There are optional ranked tournaments the weekend prior and the weekend after.
- Along with the coaching team, only a total of 8 men and 8 women will be provided funding by Darts Alberta to participate at the Nationals.
- As a member of Team Alberta and this being a non-casino year, the Team Qualifier / Commitment Fee will be $300.00 per person with the opportunity to earn $100.00 back if you work the upcoming casino (Third Quarter of 2021). This fee entitles each team member with transportation, shared accommodations during the National Championship, a team shirt, banquet ticket and their entry fee into the nationals – all paid by Darts Alberta.
The format of play at the Provincials, for both the men's and women's events, is a round robin advancing to a double knockout:
- Under 32 players – 8 sections of up to a maximum of 4 players with all players advancing to a 32-draw
- 33 to 40 players – 8 sections of up to a maximum of 5 players with the top 4 advancing to a 32-draw
- 41 to 48 players – 8 sections of up to a maximum of 6 players with all players advancing to a 64-draw
- 49 to 64 players – 16 sections of up to a maximum of 4 players with all players advancing to a 64-draw
- 65 to 80 players (men) – 16 sections of up to a maximum of 5 players with the top 4 advancing to a 64-draw
All details regarding the 2020 Provincial Championships are contained on the poster. Should you have any questions, please contact the DA Administrator (email@example.com) or the DA Tournament Director (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Although Darts Alberta has had members in Zone 5 for many years, we are excited to announce that Zones will be held in Whitecourt to qualify to participate in the Adult Provincial Championships. Up until now, this zone has always been listed as inactive. Thanks to interest in the Alberta Masters Games, a qualifier was held in Whitecourt and several participants from the area participated in the Games in Rocky Mountain House. This sparked interest in participating in other programs that Darts Alberta offers.
A special thank you goes out to Jamie Trenholm who has stepped up and volunteered to be the Zone 5 Director.
More details will be provided on upcoming Zone dates for this zone as well as all other zones throughout Alberta.
Darts Alberta would like to thank all of the volunteers for coming out over the past two days to work shifts at the Starlight Casino in West Edmonton Mall. Proceeds from our bi-annual casino is a major source of funding for everything relating to our Youth Program and to fund travel to the Youth and Adult Nationals. Without these volunteers, this funding would not be possible and players would be faced with funding a major portion of their own travel to Nationals, similar to what some other provinces are faced with.
We can't thank you enough!
Our bi-annual Casino is our primary source of funding Team Alberta to participate at the Adult Nationals as well all of our Youth Programs including the Nationals.
We have two specific spots to fill. Both are Evening Cashiers from 6:30 p.m. to 3:15 a.m. on Sunday, August 18, 2019 at the Starlight Edmonton Casino in West Edmonton Mall. Please contact Cindy Der (email@example.com) if you are available and willing to fill this position. Darts Alberta will provide shared accommodations and gas mileage for any volunteers residing more than 100 km from the casino. All volunteers receive a meal allowance while working the casino.
We would also appreciate a few volunteers to serve in a back-up capacity in case any of our currently committed volunteers have to cancel due to extenuating circumstances. This could end up being any shift on either the Saturday or the Sunday, daytime, evening or late night. As this could be very last minute, those in or around the Edmonton area would likely be more suitable. If interested in being placed on our back-up list, please email Cindy Der (firstname.lastname@example.org) with all available times on either August 17 or August 18.
As some may have noticed, we recently put a call out for volunteers for the position of Membership Director. Congratulations goes out to ANGELA HOVEY! Thanks Angela for stepping up to the plate to take on the position! The Board appointment takes effect immediately, for the remainder of the term until the 2020 AGM.